Monday, September 29, 2008

After Austin...

Wow, this weekend was exhausting. More good than bad, but the bad was pretty damn bad. Just for a quick run-through of the trip first.

Thursday night, my friend and I dropped in with a couple of friends who recently moved to Ft. Worth. We hit up a few places downtown, including Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. For the record, it blows Willy D's in Fayetteville out of the water as far as atmosphere and pure talent.

Friday afternoon we left for Austin. Checked into our hotel in North Austin about 5:00 and chilled out for a couple of hours. We headed downtown around 7:00, which was far too early but I wanted to go back to Z Tejas for dinner. It was, as expected, glorious. I also had the oddest drink so far in my life - the Jalapeno Margarita. Tangy, sweet, and spicy all in one heavenly tequila concoction. I must recreate this for future parties.

The first part of Friday night was spent at The Ranch. The only Fayetteville parallel I can make is On The Rocks, and only because of the rooftop bar experience. The Arkansas Alumni Association had one section reserved and it was good to see Razorback fans in the heart of UT country. From there, it was off to East 6th Street and Maggie Mae's. From there, I went to meet a friend from high school in the more colorful 4th Street district. That included stops at Rain and the (apparently) infamous Oilcan Harry's. Quite the experience, I must say...

Saturday was game day...and what a shitty game it was. The Hogs lost 52-10...not a good feeling after coming off a 49-14 loss against Bama. The Longhorns dominated us on offense and defense and I'd say completely demoralized our team. Well played, sir. Well played.

More to come.

No comments: